|Lewes is a great place to cycle despite its spectacular hilly setting. The town is relatively compact - it is easy to plan routes that avoid most hills and are often quicker than similar journeys by car. Situated in the heart of the recently established South Downs National Park, Lewes is surrounded by a wonderful network of country lanes and some of the best off road cycling in England. Lewes station is a rail hub for the region, providing both access for visitors and connections for Lewes cyclists to nearby stations as well as the port of Newhaven. Cycle Lewes was originally formed in 1998, and after a gap in the 2000s was relaunched in March 2013. We rely on both subscriptions and on active involvement by members in our new Committee, which meets every couple of months and is always open to new initiatives and members. Become a member and support this great work. Cycle Lewes would like to note our debt to our founders and early campaigners Becky Reynolds, Tony Green (who both continue to campaign through Bricycles in Brighton and the CTC), Colin Brades, Tim and Anne Locke, Amanda Burgess and Ian Cairns (Ian moved to Seaford and founded the impressive Cycle Seahaven). Contact us or check out some links to local groups Here|
Cycle Lewes is a community group working for all cyclists in the Lewes area.
We aim to:
- Campaign for a more harmonious environment for all road users that puts people first.
- Promote policies which encourage cycling and reduce the impact of motor vehicles.
- Work for better transport, commuting and leisure facilities for cyclists.
- Campaign for a reduction in road danger, especially to cyclists.
- Support improved links with public transport operators and with other cycle routes around Lewes.
Past and Current Campaigns Include:
- Improvements in Cliffe High Street.
- Contributing to East Sussex County Council's cycling policies, In association with other cycling groups.
- Development and implementation of the Ouse Valley Cycle Network.
- Completion of the Lewes to Ringmer cycle route
- Completion of Sustrans Regional Cycle Route 90 through Lewes.
- Safe cycle routes to schools.
- Integrated cycle provision in the proposed North Street Quarter and all future developments.
- Safety improvements to the C7 Lewes to Newhaven Road.
Here is the indepth Survey we handed to the council regarding the traffic problem in Cliffe High Street
Cliffe High Street Survey|
our FaceBook page has all our current activity.